Large tenders require significant time, effort, specialist resourcing and commitment to developing compelling differentiation, so here is a simple list of reminders to help make your major tender responses more successful.
- Understand the tender’s needs and the underlying (often non-stated) issues that must be addressed and formally plan and schedule your response resources
- Assemble the right skills, methodology, budget and sponsorship
- Ensure your solution offers unique benefits that will be valued by your client
- Develop and agree your solution’s key messages and benefits
- Make sure that all your team members understand the overall solution and how specific key messages are to be recognised in their individual responses
- Answer all questions and in the order that they are asked cognisant of any response format and size limitations
- Plan and outline the aligned content of each response to match your solution before writing the detailed content, and plan the use of specialised graphics – write less but say more
- Do not paste in large slabs of standard content unless it is truly generic and keep it to a minimum
- Write your responses professionally and in a compelling style – tell a story and talk about benefits not just features
- Iteratively draft and review formally all the way – don’t wait unto the end.
If this sounds too daunting, call Mijo Tenders for some friendly advice.